Pages

3.26.2010

I love you... I miss you Grandpa








Last Friday, I got the call from my mom that I knew I would get eventually. My grandpa, Ronald Oliver Farnsworth, died one week ago today.
Gramps had been struggling with cancer for the past few years and these last several months were vicious. The cancer had spread up his body and attacked his spinal cord to the extent that he was completely immobile. He couldn't get out of bed at all. He has lost OVER 100 POUNDS. No matter how many months I could've been given, I would never be fully prepared to say goodbye to him.

Last Friday night, I left work early and drove down to pick up my little sister in Provo. We then sped down the interstate to American Fork and spent our last few hours with Gramps. He was heavily sedated but we were told that he would most likely heard us, though unresponsive. He looked like he was sleeping but that didn't stop me from pouring out my thoughts, feelings, love and tears. Gramps is so much a part of me. My fiesty personality is (mostly) from him.
I love that.
*This is Grandpa at our wedding reception last June.*

These words were said at his funeral and touched me so much:
"There is no sadness in death without a love of life."

So true. Gramps loved life. He loved dreaming. He loved giving his Grandkids the world (or at least what he could from his world)... Considering how much he loved this life, I can only imagine how much he is enjoying the next.

I love you Gramps!!

3 comments:

Emily M. said...

aww this made me cry. i'm sorry for you loss alyssa! if you need anything- let me know! :)

c a n d a c e said...

I'm with e and d - This made me cry. You are such a wonderful person, so I can imagine how fantastic your Gramps was/is. He is watching over you... I love you guys.

Callen and Liz said...

I'm so glad you got to say goodbye. My last moments with my grandpa were very similar to yours, and I'm sure you'll reflect on them often in the future...

So grateful to know what happens after we pass on.