Pages

9.22.2011

Germany Part I

Remember that one time Mike and I went to Europe? Yeah. I do too.
...& remember that one time we went to Germany & then posted awesome pictures of it on our blog?

Oh crap. That never happened. I swear I meant to post them right after pictures of Spain and Italy. Life is tough when you have a laptop circa 2004. I get impatient.
Despite how captivating the other countries were, our favorite part of Europe 2011 was GERMANY.
I know. I know. That's strange... but true.

We decided to see Germany the cheapest way we could for 5 days. This meant flying into the
smallest airport in the middle of nowhere, traveling from the airport to the nearest train station by
bus and then it was all trains from there!


After several hours on trains,we made it to our first stop: Fussen.  
It didn't take more than a couple bites of rarely cooked bratwurst
and warm potato salad for us to realize that these Nelsons don't love German food.
We checked into Suzanne's, our adorable B&B, and then spent the evening walking around the beautiful city.
The next day we went to see the castles!
If you have an extra 20 minutes in your day and you're really bored... read those links.
The history is fascinating! (The Disney castle was inspired by the Neuschwanstein.)





Incredibly gorgeous views... everywhere.


























It would be our luck that it started raining the second we get out of the castle and
have a 30 minute walk downhill. 

We were sad to leave Fussen but we were on to the next city. This picture was taken approximately 5 minutes before the most depressing thing happened.

I LOST OUR CAMERA.
I left it at the train station in Fussen and didn't realize it until we were 45 minutes out.
Tears were pouring down my face. I couldn't believe I had been so careless. All the pictures we had taken in Europe over the past 2 weeks were gone and I couldn't have been more frustrated with myself. Mike somehow convinced me to get off at the next stop, catch a train going back to Fussen and at least check
to see if it was sitting there.
AND IT WAS! (Obviously... I'm sure everyone figured that out already.)
For some reason our camera was still sitting back at the train station.
I immediately prayed & thanked Heavenly Father because, hello!
He is the reason I left Europe with pictures.


Wow. I'm lucky to be married to such a positive person.
He didn't worry once. He trusted the honesty of those Germans.

I must have trust issues though. I thought there was no way humanly possible for my camera to sit at a
train station for nearly 2 hours, untouched, unharmed, un-stolen.

Okay, I swear I won't leave the next few posts witha sad/negative vibe. I've been doing that too much lately.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

he works in mysterious ways! three years ago, i left my macbook at the skycap at JFK in NYC! looked everywhere for it when i realized an hour later that i left it somewhere had no idea where. called every day to see if someone just happened to turn it in. i tried for 4 days and gave up. the next day they called me saying they found it!! someone must have though it was a bomb or something. i was seriously lucky

Ted and Breauna Housel said...

Looks amazing Alyssa!!! I just love you two...So glad you found the camera. I would be a mess too!

Heather said...

I can't believe you lost your camera and then found it again. Omigosh, I would have had a heart attack!! Loved hearing about your trip--you guys look like you had so much fun!!

BrOwN CiRcUs said...

Hi girly,
Just found your fab blog, we left our Nikon camera bag in a cab in China the night before we were to meet our daughter. (Our camera our video camera and our small hand held camera) were all in that camera bag. The cab driver returned it to us the next morning before we met her. I could totally relate to your emotions in this post. Hugs :)