Pages

9.19.2011

that irks me.

Just 2 minutes ago I spoke with someone who does not understand
a specific word in the English language: literally.
This has got to be my all-time BIGGEST pet peeve.
People using the word "literally" in the wrong context.

Some examples for you:

"It literally blew my mind."
Did it really? Your mind looks completely intact to me, minus the fact that you have no clue
what literally means.

"I was literally shocked when he said that."
Did he get you with a lightning bolt? or a taser?

“The world is literally her oyster.”
(A quote from Sarah Palin's spokeswoman)

Really?

This is abuse.
Abuse of a grammatical nature and I'm sick of it! Sick of it, people!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Oh my goodness! This is my pet peeve too! I was actually just talking to my co-workers about this the other day. Drives me crazy!