Pages

9.16.2011

my new job.

Things I've learned/observed from my 2 weeks in a law firm:

1. People are always walking at an uncomfortably fast pace. They don't nessacarily have somewhere to be either.
2. There are secretaries, legal assistants and paralegals. They all need help with their workload. Yay?
3. Most attorneys don't have a special title like "Doctor" or "Professor". Some deserve the title of "Diva" .
4. People go out to eat lunch. Every single day. That can't be healthy.
5. Company parties are awesome. Three words: spare no expense.
6. This is not Marriott. I am not supposed to build friendships with clients. I am to be professional and short. I learned this the hard way when I responded to someone with, "Yeah, absolutely!" instead of "Yes."
Senior partner = not diggin' Alyssa because Alyssa = friendly. Apparently, that needs to change.
7. Billing bites. 3,000 Bills sent out monthly. All done by yours truly.
8. Runners and receptionists are business best friends. My runners are already looking out for me.
9. There are no mistakes allowed. Not even teeny tiny "oopsies".
10. There are more high heels around this place than a drag party.
11. This place is a real life Suits  (ya know, the USA television series. What? You don't watch it? You need to. Oh, you need to.) with all the beautiful people, intelligence and power.


So there's a lot of stress involved with this job. LOTS.

Like I've told some people though... I just need to grow some thick skin
and it'll be more than worth it!

3 comments:

Mr & Mrs. Vakapuna said...

lOVE YOU aLYSSA BoO! :)
hoPE aLL iS wELL!!
XOXOXO

iT WaS sOOoOoo gREAt sEEiNG YoU ThE OtHER DaY!!! :)

chelsey kimberly said...

lol thats a lot to get used too, change is always hard! But it sounds like a great job opportunity for ya! Hang in there girlie

Casey said...

Wow, Alyssa! I'm glad you still have your sense of humor about you, even in such a demanding and unfriendly job.

Now when I watch legal TV dramas, I'm not going to scoff so much at how un-amused everyone seems to be. Or the number of high heels. Or the fact that so much time is spent out of the office, at lunch.