Pages

3.14.2012

grateful.

To say I'm grateful for the abundance of great women around me would be an understatement.
I am beyond grateful. The past couple weeks I have taken a good, hard look at my life; namely people I have let into it. I cannot believe my "luck" in the women I have come to associate with throughout my life, especially recently.

           Thanks to two good friends- Jade and Kylee -who both individually blogged about their daily experiences with gratitude, I have decided to take on the challenge. For the month of March I will focus daily on a specific thing that God has blessed my life with and to thank Him for it. With every passing day I have had no trouble coming up with a different blessing to express gratitiude for. What I thought of this morning has struck a chord and I feel the need to share it. I am so grateful for the many wonderful women I am lucky to call friends/family. I may not have the pleasure of seeing most of them on a regular basis. I may never have expressed my admiration and thankfulness to them aloud. I may have known them since childhood, met them in Gamma, at church, in class at the U or on a plane. (Okay, maybe not a plane.)

          Thanks to those of you who have commented here at one time or another, I know that nearly every wonderful woman that comes to mind reads my blog. Those women who have influenced me are smart, considerate, educated, funny, opinionated, talkative, driven and giving. I think the qualities that you all embody says something about the woman that I want to be. I surround myself, as I think most people do, with those already possess qualities that I want to develop. I don't mean to leave anyone out of the following comments but these are the quick examples that come to mind: No one makes me laugh and enjoy life quite like Breauna or Candace. Amy, Sammy and Christine are women I look up to as beautiful, bright mothers(or soon-to-be) who are unwavering in what is right. I stalk Jade and Kylee's blogs on the daily because they are such beautiful writers and deep-thinkers. Bekah and Liz are ambitiuous and opinionated women. Hannah listens to me, really listens. Casey, Amanda and Sarah (individually) are pure entertainment for me with some much witt and personality, those ladies. Missy and Kelsey are probably my soulmates. When I'm with Meagan, Meli, Ashley, Chelsey or Kimberly it's like no time has passed and we could talk forever.

           I am so grateful for you ladies, the ones I publicly recognized attributes of and those whom I have yet to. I feel like I barely touched the surface here. Each one of you makes me better and how can I not somehow acknowledge that? If you're interested, I would encourage you to take this gratitude challenge!  It has helped me to envy less, compare less and feel so overwhelmingly loved by our Lord and Savior. I needed this and I'm just disappointed that I didn't do it earlier.

9 comments:

c a n d a c e said...

Ahh, so flattered to be included. that is, if Candace is actually me. If not, she still has a rockin name, nonethless. And yes I'm thrilled I got to use my word of the day - nonetheless. Love the gratitude post, Lyss!!

Bekah said...

Thank you for this blog post. It has made me reflect on just how blessed I am. Thank you for that.

Casey said...

Aw, you're the best! Thanks for making my day!

kylee said...

alyssa, this post was amazing. i honestly can't find the words to tell you how much i love it. i also feel overwhelmed being mentioned. i know i've said this before but i am sooo glad i met you in gamma. and like you said, we may not see each other often [which we should probably change some time - - maybe a lunch date. you, me & jade?'], but we're still friends and you still influence my life for the better. i feel so lucky to know you.

Ted and Breauna Housel said...

ALYSSA! So dang sweet of you...I'm sure every mentioned would agree that we are insanely grateful for you as well. So glad to call you my friend :)

McCall & Kimberly said...

Alyssa--you are so sweet! I feel so, so lucky to be mentioned in this post and to have had the opportunity to meet you! I am not sure how I would have made it through that last year of undergrad without all you ladies! You are the greatest!

alyssa nelson said...

thank you ladies! i truly do feel blessed to have each one of you as friends!

chelsey kimberly said...

Love your post :) I'm so grateful for amazing girl friends like you who make it easy to stay close with even though we only get to see eachother like once a year. Love you girl! Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks :)

Callen and Liz said...

Aww Lyss... I love this post. Thanks girl! Love you & see you on Friday!