Pages

3.04.2011

home sick.


This is the one weekend every year (besides Christmas) that I wish I was home in Louisiana.

Why, you ask?

It's Mardi Gras weekend!

Mardi Gras is an absolute BLAST! If you've never been before, make sure you go to Louisiana for this celebration at some point in your lifetime. And if you're thinking that Mardi Gras is only for naughty people with low standards.... you're mostly right. BUT you can find many parades on the cleaner side and you don't lose a bit of the fun. Just be prepared to take home a bunch of crap that you don't need or even want... yet, for at least 2 hours you jumped around screaming, "Throw me something, mister!" to get them. My parents probably have 70 plastic Mardi Gras cups, several stuffed animals and an infinite number of beads.

picture circa 2005: I just flashed them... my smile!

I'm sad they'll be adding to the pile of junk this weekend.... without Kelsey and me. Not to mention (but I will).... the DELICOUS beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Mmmmm...

glorified scones with an unholy amount of powdered sugar.

1 comment:

PoppaSteve said...

So Mardi Gras was mostly tranquil. We hit the river side of the Quarter (still trying to find that awesome art shop with the angel photos and good shots of the cathedral), the French Market (Dal was looking for a leather mask), a sweets shop for a praline (my NEW love is the Chocolate Praline from Sara Evans -- it's a cross between a praline and fudge. It is GOOD!) We hung out at Spanish plaza for a little bit listening to some NOLA JazzRock, and then went to the Proteus parade. Didn't stick around for Orpheus. Dal and mom were ready to go, so I was too. Only a couple beads, NOOO cups (sad), and that was about it. Long drive home, hyphenated by a stop at Canes! All in all, a decent Lundi Gras!