Pages

3.24.2011

not-so-typical spring break


Warning: This is probably going to be incredibly boring. This is mostly for my own documentation for memories since- I won't lie- I totally bite at writing in a journal.

Usually when Spring Break rolls around... I've packed a suitcase and I'm gone for a week.
This Spring Break has been very different.

My dad and oldest "little" brother, Dallin, came up to Utah to send him out on his mission.
We spent a few days packing in quality time at places like Texas Roadhouse and the Nickekcade, playing several family games and watching the last few movies we assumed he could watch even though he was already set apart. Don't worry Mom, just Megamind and Despicable Me.


Texas Roadhouse.

Bowling. Self-explanatory.

Then, came Wednesday morning. I got off work early and drove down with Dad and Dallin to pick up Kelsey in Provo. We were then on our way to the Missionary Training Center to drop him off and say goodbye. I hate goodbyes. I'm so emotional. Not a surprise to anyone, I'm sure. The one thing pulling me through this was the fact that my brother is so strong. He's 6'6", 280 lbs and very serious. I knew he wasn't going to cry, so neither would I. We rolled up to the curb and as soon as we opened our doors we were greeted by a man saying, "Welcome to the MTC. You have about 30 seconds." Welp, okay. I'm glad you really got to the point, buddy. I took pictures of everything.... Elder Dallin Fausett shaking hands with his 2 missionary hosts, Dad getting luggage out of the car, everyone hugging. After a long embrace, I looked up to see my big, strong brother's eyes filling up with tears. NOOOOOO. I lost it. I started bawling and realized this is not how Dallin needed his last seconds with us to be. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and a few words of encouragement. We jumped in the car and Kelsey and I looked back to wave goodbye. Dallin had a suitcase in each hand with the most depressed look on his face. Ummm... hello! No one ever told me if would be this hard. I can't stop wondering what he's doing, how others are treating him, how he's feeling. Does he feel overwhelmed? Does he feel alone? Is he even thinking about us or is he too busy? I know he's exactly where he needs to be, but he is my naive, untainted little brother, dang it! I hope he's okay.

Dallin will be serving in the Argentina Mendoza Mission.

There is something else that is distracting my family from constantly worrying about Dallin. Just a couple days ago, my dad was offered an excellent job within Shell that is now taking the family to Pittsburgh, PA. If you know my family's moving history you're probably thinking this isn't anything new... but you are mistaken. Pittsburgh is not the South. The Steve and Christine Fausett family has been stationed in Texas/Louisiana for the past 20 years so this move will bring on a whole new culture and atmosphere. For one thing, when Mike and I go to my family's place for Christmas we will actually have snow. I don't know how much I love that idea... I'm already struggling through this winter wonderland that is Salt Lake City. On the other hand, they will only be a few hours drive to so many places on the East Coast! I love NYC AND D.C.!

With all of these changes and the emotions that go along with it, this break has felt more like an overload than a vacation. Fortunately, we're lucky enough to have good friends that have getaway cabins. We're going up to Midway, Utah for the weekend to make good use of our last few days before classes continue on! Bring on the snacks and board games... I need a little relief!

5 comments:

c a n d a c e said...

OMGoodness that is a HUGE overload for anyone at anytime. Gosh, Lyss, take it easy in Midway ok? You totally deserve it. PS- I love Philadelphia and the east coast. Your fam will be a novelty up there :) Congrats to your dad!

c a n d a c e said...

And by Philadelphia, I meant Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania. Ya know... ahem.

Karlee said...

WHAT?!?! Dallin is on a mission!?! Wasn't he like just barely THREE??? Holy FREAKIN COW!!! And WHAT IS THIS THAT YOUR FAMILY IS MOVING???? EAST COAST??? BR NEEDS yoru family! That's crazy news and TOTAL overload for one week!

Meag said...

I know that Dallin will be a wonderful missionary, though I'm sure it's hard to watch your baby bro head out! I know my mom's been keep yours company to distract her the last few days.

Tear...so sad that your parents are moving!! My family (mom) is SOOOO sad! We're sad, too. I really love that visiting your fam when we're in town. And no more lunch dates when you & Mike come down :( :(

Amy Jane said...

Whoa! Intense week! Hope you can relax this weekend :)