Pages

1.16.2012

A Shining Example

For the past couple weeks I've been thinking, off and on, about my recent interactions with
President Eyring. I'm lucky to share a ward with him.
I'm sure he doesn't know my name but my favorite thing is that he pretends he does.
"Hey there!" "There she is!" "Good to see you." He acts like we're friends and I love it.
Little does he know that as a young member growing up in Louisiana and Texas, I adored
him more than most youth. When you grow up as a member outside of Utah,
general authorities are almost like celebrities, not your regular people.
We only see them on tv, never in the car next to you or shopping at the same grocery store.
He was the one general authority I sincerely connected with. Every time he spoke.
President Eyring speaks consistently with such compassion and emotion, I find myself relating
to this 80 year old man more and more.
When Mike and I moved to Bountiful, we moved into President Eyring's home ward, and yes,
he attends nearly every Sunday. I've been able to enjoy hearing his personal testimonies
on more than one occasion,
his pure joy when a member of his family speaks in sacrament meeting
 and quick greetings in the hallways at church.
The first Sunday in December church was cut short so that the ward could secure the area, as much as possible, for an expected windstorm. As I walked pass President Eyring, he looked at me with a huge smile and said, "Isn't this so exciting?", to which I responded with the first thing that came to mind.
 "Yes! Especially when you aren't very prepared for the primary lesson you were going to teach."
I look over at Mike to get a "you know what I'm talking about" look but he is just staring at me with a shocked look on his face. I could tell exactly what he was thinking. Uh.. Did you just tell a general authority- a member of the First Presidency no less- that you didn't prepare your lesson? That you aren't magnifying your calling? For a split second I regretted telling Henry B. the truth. I totally wasn't prepared and I was estactic that I was left off the hook for this one Sunday. To my surprise, President Eyring told me about several experiences in grade school when he hadn't done his homework and he prayed that his teacher wouldn't pick it up. He said there were many times when he was "let off the hook" and said that the Lord hears our prayers. Even the seemingly insignificant ones.

He will probably never know how he influences me and that's okay by me.
I simply feel lucky enough to know him.

5 comments:

Cheyenne said...

SO cool that you are in his ward! What an awesome blessing in and of itself :)

Casey said...

That's so cool! I love President Eyring, and I love when General Authorities remind us they are just people, too, who once did some of the silly things we do.

kylee said...

i don't know what my deal is but i'm crying right now - why am i crying right now? could i be any sappier? but then i realized it was because i'm grateful for this gospel, for the leaders, and for answered prayers. i'm grateful for you, for your example and your testimony. i don't know if i ever told you this alyssa, but you are one of the reasons i loved gamma so much.

mom said...

You are your mother's child, we love him!

Jenna said...

lucky you!! It's always a relief to find out that the apostles aren't perfect and can joke about imperfections. I love hearing stories like that.